The Network for Environment and Weather Applications
NEWA collects weather data through the Internet from weather stations primarily located on farms and generates real-time weather data summaries, crop production tools, and IPM forecasts. NEWA tools promote better IPM, reduced pesticide use, and improved environmental protection.
Founded as the Northeast Weather Association (NEWA) in 1995 through a USDA Agricultural Telecommunications grant, NEWA had 57 weather stations and 6 Bulletin Board Sites. We kept the acronym, NEWA, and updated the name to reflect the many web-based apps that make up the Network for Environment and Weather Applications. Today, more than 700 weather stations across 15 partner US states are the fabric of NEWA, with one “bulletin board” at newa.cornell.edu.
“This is a great site for my small potato farm and orchard!”
When we ask users about NEWA and how it helps them, either informally or in formal surveys, we find that NEWA provides reliable IPM information that supports responsible management practices, enhances decision-making, and increases awareness of pest and production risks. In 2017, every survey respondent that was using NEWA said they would recommend NEWA to other growers!
NEWA Funding Acknowledgements
Our funding partners have insured the success and continuation of NEWA. In an average year, NEWA’s 15 partner states are working on a combined $0.5M in grants supporting research, development, and extension. Most grants supporting NEWA are small and targeted, $30K or less.
We acknowledge the contributions of all the farms that have purchased a weather station, installed it, and maintained it. This support is priceless.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station
- Garden State Wine Growers Association
- Lake Erie Region Grape Processors
- Michigan Cherry Committee
- Michigan Apple Committee
- Michigan Tree Fruit Commission
- Minnesota Apple Growers Association
- New York Apple Research and Development Program
- New York State Berry Growers Association
- New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
- New York State Integrated Pest Management Program
- New York Farm Viability Institute
- New York Wine and Grape Foundation
- North Carolina Apple Growers Association
- Northeast SARE
- Northeastern IPM Center
- Northeast Center for Risk Management Education
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- New York State Agricultural Experiment Station
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- CPPM ARDP
- CPPM EIP
- NEED NERA
- Smith Lever Funds
- Specialty Crops Block Grants
- USDA Telecommunications
- US Forest Service Climate Center, Eastern Region
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Center for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment
- Virginia Wine Board
- Viticulture Consortium – East
- Wisconsin Apple Growers Association
- Wisconsin Grape Growers Association
Get a Weather Station
Have a question?
Reach out to our support center and ask questions to get support for NEWA tools, resources, and weather stations.
Become a Partner
NEWA is a partnership of land grant universities and grower associations. If you live in a partner state, you can buy a weather station for your farm and connect to NEWA.